Rossum: I can’t tell you how many producers have made wink-and-nudge overtures at me. I’ve just been, Is this happening right now? Do they think that’s going to work? I may use bad language, but I know who I am, and I know what I’m willing to do to get a part, and it’s not that. I think that’s really hard for people who are here without a support group, without a family.
Maslany: For me it’s about the parts that are out there. I think it’s changing. That’s where I feel the sexism the most. The stories that we tell are male stories and often male-centric and the women are accessories, but it is changing. It’s changing so rapidly.
Rossum: TV is changing that.
Maslany: Absolutely. Like “Orange Is the New Black,” it’s all women. Our voices are getting louder. People are realizing that our stories are just as universal and just as relatable as male stories.
Rossum: And that there is a huge female audience out there that is hungry for female stories, and we are seeing that more and more.
i think it’s really important to speak out about what you believe in. it’s very very very important to let people know when they’re saying something offensive or hurtful or untrue. speak up for the things you feel are right. why should you remain quiet? that only perpetuates whatever hate or…
NO MERCY FOR ELLIOT RODGER
NO EXCUSES FOR ELLIOT RODGER
NO MORE “NICE GUYS FINISH LAST” BULLSHIT
NO MORE FRIENDZONE BULLSHIT
HOW CAN HE SAY HE IS AN ALPHA MALE
HOW DARE HE CALL HIMSELF A GENTLEMAN
WHEN HE CAN’T EVEN HANDLE REJECTION
GIRLD DON’T OWE GUYS SHIT
Dear Future Daughter:
1) When you’re at some party, chain smoking on the roof with some strange girl with blue hair and exorbitant large dark eyes, ask her about her day. I promise you, you won’t regret it. Often times you’ll find the strangest of people have the most captivating of stories to tell.
2) Please, never mistake desire for love. Love will engulf your soul, whilst desire will emerge as acid, slowly making it’s way through your veins, gradually burning you from the inside out.
3) No one is going to fucking save you, anything you’ve read or heard otherwise is bullshit.
4) One day a boy is going to come along who’s touch feels like fire and who’s words taste like vanilla, when he leaves you, you will want to die. If you know anything at all, know that it is only temporary.
5) Your mental health comes before school baby, always. If its midnight, and you have an exam the next day but your hands have been shaking for the past hour and a half and you’re not so sure you want to be alive anymore, pull out that carton of Ben and Jerry’s and afterwards, go the fuck to bed. So what if you get a 68% on the exam the next day? You took care of yourself and at the end of the day that will always come before a high test score. To hell with anyone who tells you differently.